1. Assumptions and goals of a grammar theory: linguistic creativity and the notion of generative grammar. Adequacy levels of a grammar. The role of syntax in relation to the other elements that make up the grammar.
2. The structure of language sentences: diagnoses for the identification of the constituents; structural representations and structural relations among constituents. Construction of a syntagmatic grammar for fragments of Portuguese.
3. Syntactic categories and selection. The lexicon and the notion of subcategorization; argument structure and syntagmatic structure; lexical and functional projections.
4. Argument structure and movement of the constituents: the passive, unaccusative constructions and topicalized constructions.
5. The QU-movement: most relevant aspects.